Friday 10 February 2012

4 days in the Scottish hills!

I am currently over in Scotland and with 4 days on the trot I have opted for a rest day today.  The last few days have been excellent with 3 Quality Mountain Days and one day climbing with John Orr and Jonny Parr.

Cairn Toul and Angel's ridge

The conditions at the start of the week were amazing. I had a big day out with Mikey taking in the Braeriach horseshoe and descending the Angel's Ridge.  We started and ended at the sugar bowl car park and had the joy of returning through the Lairig Ghru.  The next day we headed into Corie an t'sneachda for some winter skills refreshing and then a plod over the top to take in the summit of Ben Macdui.  The weather for these two days was amazing!



On Wednesday I had planned on heading into Shelterstone crag with the two Jonny's but the strong SE winds we sacked that and ended up at the Mess of Pottage for a bit of mixed.  We ended up on Pot of Gold (V,6) taking a pitch each.  Quality climbing with some amazing hooks in places.  It was good crack climbing in a 3, it meant you had someone to suffer with at the belays!

J. Parr starting the second pitch of Pot of Gold (V,6)
With the temperatures going above the summits I cruised West with the lads and ended up on a nice grade II ridge in Glencoe.  Sron na Lairig a bit of a classic and nicely exposed in places was a good shout.  With me getting ready for my winter ML and Jonny for his MIC we both got something out of the day.

The top of Sron na Lairig


Just chillin today and sorting myself out in Fort William before I head back across to the East tonight for a few days in the Cairngorms then assessment time!

Skiing in the Cairngorms anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment